Thursday 22 April 2010

Chapter 2

Theres lots of strong language and lemons in my story, please dont read if you are easily offended!I do not own anything, all things Twilight belong to Stephenie Myers.

Chapter 2
We’re Here.


The flight had been turbulent and long but I had read most of the way as Ruby had slept most of it due to the almost comatose drooling state the prescribed valium had put her in for the past 10 hours!
After the bumps and shocks of the turbulent flight I had to place a virtual restraining arm on myself to stop from falling to my knees and kissing the ground thankfully as we stepped down onto the tarmac!

We got our luggage, easily picking out the tellytubbies scarf tied around our bags on the baggage carousel and picked up our rental car armed with cases, drinks and my newly uploaded American maps sat-nav we set off for Forks. The 2 hour car journey had been pleasant enough and Ruby’s intermittent chatter and snores kept me entertained for the most part.
It was surprisingly easy to get to our hotel. I had chosen a hotel on the coast away from the town centre called the Kalaloche Lodge.
I couldn’t contain my excitement as I skipped towards the front office to get us checked in. The woman on the front desk was pleasant and her smile brightened when she heard the English accent .I said in as best English as I could muster “We have bookings, Mackenzie Richardson and Ruby Harris.”
The lady tapped away at her computer, “Aw, yes Ms Richardson and Harris, I see you…”
I stood waiting for the woman to say something but she seemed to have forgotten I was stood there. I cleared my throat and I waited for the penny to drop, the smiley check in lady, smiled some more and continued looking at me with a blank expression. Needing to pee desperately and brush my teeth in that order I almost shouted “Do we need keys for the room?”
“Oh Yes, sorry deary I just can’t get over how quaint you sound!” she said as she dropped the keys onto the desk. I grabbed our key saying our thanks and we drove around to our parking bay and then unloaded our cases. The first thing that hit me was the cold! The wind was blowing off the sea whipping my hair around my neck and face. The second thing I noticed was the beautiful view! It was stunning and I breathed in a huge lung full of salty ocean air. The sharp coldness hitting my lungs and making me gasp slightly at the shock.
“FUCK, we’re here Ruby! We’re actually really fucking here!!” I said, the amazement showing in my voice.
“Fuck, im really fucking cold Kenze, please open the door!”
Apologizing and fumbling with bags and keys we fell into our room. It was a huge room with 2 double beds 2 chairs a sofa, tea and coffee making facilities and all the usual requirements for any hotel room. The walls were wood and gave the lodge a distinct forest smell which warmed the heart as well as gave the room a warm glow.
We dumped our bags where we stood and I ran for what I hoped was the bathroom door and with my knickers round my ankles and the bathroom door open I sat with the most stupid grin on my face. From where I was sat on the loo I could see right out of the huge picture windows over the ocean. I sat watching huge waves rolling angrily in towards the beach.

“Rube...”
“Yeh?”
“Thanks!”
“Any time!”

I could tell from her voice that she was smiling and I was so grateful to my friend for doing this for me. I would do it for her in a heartbeat, but I never expected people to stuff for me, I was the fixer, I was the adventurer, I was the party gal, I was whatever they needed, I felt humbled that my friend knew I needed this and had come all this way for me.

After we had put our clothes in the ridiculously large wardrobes and we had relaxed for a bit we got showered and decided to go into town to get something to eat and to try to familiarize ourselves with our surroundings.
The smiley lady from the front desk who was called Cassandra informed us that we would need to drive into town from the Lodge as it was too far to walk. She informed us of a couple of good restaurants and cafes in town and of course there was 2 restaurants attached to the Lodge if we wanted to dine there. Armed with my camera we drove the 10 minutes into town.
Ruby was a city girl and she was literally silenced by the size of the huge pine trees we were driving past. They shadowed the road and dwarfed everything, and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I envisaged a pack of wolves patrolling through those trees keeping watch on the town and its residents.
We parked up on the main street and my mouth dropped open for a second as I took in the sight before me…..
I was actually lost for words…. I couldn’t believe it, after all my imaginings and all that I had dreamed it to be, after all this time, nothing had prepared me for this.

Ruby jolted me out of my own silence...
“What the fuck is all this shit?”
I couldn’t answer her, everywhere you looked were Twilight pictures and posters and Twilighters of all ages had all converged on this place. The town was like a bad version of some dodgy soap opera, all called Twilight, and there was the Twilight tour, the Twilight lounge, the Twilight candy store and the Twilight photo Op point. I took a huge steadying breath and tried to look past the mass of people that were clicking their camera lens at anything and everything just as I had planned to do myself!

I couldn’t see the real Forks because there were too many people bastardizing it and taking away little pieces of it and pulling at my ideal version of Forks for anyone to get a clear view of it.

Feeling totally shit, we found a place to eat and waited to be shown a table.
Neither of us had spoken since Ruby’s apt statement. We stayed silent until we had safely been seated.
“Well it’s pretty.” Ruby said unconvincingly.
“Yeh, very.” I couldn’t keep the disappointment out of my voice.
Ruby ever the enthusiast said that we should have a plan of things we wanted to do and places we wanted to see. I nodded, not trusting my self to speak further.
“I’m so sorry Rubes,” I had said finally. “I had no idea it was going to be like going to Disneyland; I expected a small American town with history and culture…”
The middle aged waitress that had served us brought us our order and said with a sting in her voice. “We have all that here sugar, you cant blame folks if they can see a way of making a living off of you people, its what you come here for anyways, you got no right to judge people so.”
Feeling totally put in my place and embarrassed, not for being bawled out, but by how true her words were, I stuttered an apology, but the waitress had already turned on her heels and was away serving a different table.

I felt like a total bitch, she was utterly correct, what a fucking nerve I had……it was my fault that their beautiful town was being torn apart, I was to blame. I was about to go back to the Lodge and pack my things and demand that we leave the town and its people in peace when Ruby put a steadying hand on my arm. “calm down Mackenzie, we are here Hun, lets enjoy it and lets go and see all those things we had planned to see, like the waitress said, this probably helps keep the local economy buoyant, feeling like a total flake, I nodded my head and tucked into my meal knowing that Ruby was right, I had been so convinced that The forks in reality would be exactly like the Forks in my head, how stupidly naïve was I to have thought that?
I kicked myself in the butt mentally and decided that nothing was going to ruin this experience for us both, especially not ME!!

After leaving a very good tip for the waitress and hoping that no one had spat in our food, we walked out of the diner and walked down the high street and the car. We drove back to the Lodge and made our way to the bar, both of us feeling the need for a drink to unwind and relax.
The bar was busy and lively and though it had a few obvious twilighters in there the majority seemed to be locals or guests. We ordered a couple of beers and found a table out of the way and sat letting the atmosphere envelope us.
We hadn’t got more than half way through our first drink when 3 fair headed men came over and sat down at the table beside us. They didn’t say anything to begin with but just eyed us over their beer bottles. My mind flitted briefly to blonde Swedish dudes which put a smile on my face.
Eventually the bravest one of the 3 turned to Ruby and asked if we wanted a drink.
Ruby declined his offer but thanked him. One of the others, all of whom looked to be in their twenties, picked up on our accents and asked us where we were from. So that was that, we spent the evening in the pleasant company of Brad, David and Nathan, all of whom were geologists from Dartmouth University doing a 6 month study on a certain part of the forest. Brad had taken a shine to Ruby and was asking animated questions about her job once he heard we were both nurses. I knew that at some point the question would come, I just didn’t know who would ask it. I was listening to Ruby and Brad chat easily and I was also listening to the music that was being played from the old 50 style Jukebox. I jumped up to see what was on it and a smile crept across my lips as I found a tune I liked, I pushed my money in the slot and punched in the number of my chosen songs and walked back to my seat grinning slightly.
As I sat down Nathan looked to me and asked “What did you put on?”
“It’s an old favorite of mine” I said as the first guitar intro started

‘Over the bridge of sighs,
to rest my eyes in shades of green
under dreamin' spires
To Itchycoo Park, that's where I've been’

I sang along to the familiar song, Nathan seemed surprised that I would like the song. I explained it had been one of my pulling songs at the nurse’s parties we had had. I laughed at his slightly shocked expression.
“Don’t worry, you’re safe, I’m not going to eat you!” I said to him, trying not to notice the slightly disappointed look in his eyes also!
“So…”Nathan asked casually. “Do you gals have to wear uniforms?”

‘Bingo! There it was’


I smiled at Ruby who was grinning madly and I nodded knowingly. Nathan actually blushed! A deep crimson flush crept up his neck to his cheeks.

“Yeh, we wear a uniform, it’s not everyone who can look that good in scrubs when we’re usually covered in all mention of bodily fluids!” I went on to describe in great detail all manner of nasty!

The slight green shading of Nathans cheeks where once there had been a blush, assured me that all thoughts of sexy short nurses uniforms had been successfully wiped from all the guys heads!

We thanked the guys for a nice evening and remained non committal to the suggestion that we should meet up again tomorrow evening. We felt fairly sure that we would see them again as they were staying at the Lodge themselves. Pleading jetlag we excused ourselves and went back to our room.

I was up early and after letting Ruby know where I was going I dressed in some old joggers and my decrepit runners and decided to go for a run along the beach.

I had not expected it to be quite as cold as it was so I had put on an extra jumper and was looking like a female version of the fat controller from Thomas the Tank engine as I set out down the cliff edge path to the beach. The steps down to the beach were wide but uneven and required me to jog at a slower pace as I needed to watch each foot fall.
Once at the bottom I felt the spray from the mad sized waves hit my face as the wind whipped at my hair, stinging my eyes and cheeks where it hit. I set off to the left putting some of the wind behind my back and relaxed into an easy running speed, the first time since arriving feeling like I was expecting to feel in this place of my dreams of my alter/ reality.

The sand was damp but tightly compact which made running on it easy, I was enjoying the ache I felt in my thighs and with each breath I took in the cold sea air deep into my lungs. I was focuses on the rhythm of my running and only caught a flash in the waves out of the corner of my eye. I didn’t pay any real attention to it and continued running. I was nearing the end of that part of the beach and I needed to run up some more cliff steps which led me through a car park.
I stopped for a breather unable to resist looking out to the monstrous seas that were swelling around the rocks.

“Awesome isn’t it” a beautiful soft voice said from beside me. I jumped round quickly and came face to face with a gorgeous looking man; well not man I mentally corrected, as I looked closer neither boy nor man as he seemed to be in between in age. I guessed around 18 or 19.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you!” he said apologetically.
“No its fine, I just didn’t realize any one was there, the sea is so loud.” I gave my most girlish smile.

“You’re not from around here are you?” the boy asked, smiling back at me with stunning white teeth. Something about him was so familiar but I just couldn’t put my finger on what it was.
“You could tell huh? Was it my accent or the total lack of appropriate attire to be out in this, so only an idiot or a tourist would make the mistake?” I asked him sardonically.
The boys eyes wrinkled slightly at the corners as he smiled and said,”Maybe a bit of both?”
“I’m Lucas by the way.” He held out his hand for me to shake it.
“Mackenzie.” I shook his hand and then we both turned back towards the sea again.
After some moments of silence he asked”Are you staying at the Lodge?”
“Yeh, it seems a pretty nice place. You?”
“No, I live on the reservation”

‘Click’

It fell into place, I must be half asleep still, and my brain so wasn’t working to its full capacity. Of course this lovely young beefcake was from the reservation. My mind skipped off to my T/R (Twilight Reality!) and I imagined him running through the woods half naked before changing into a huge russet wolf. Then I thought about him changing back from a wolf and being totally naked!

‘OH MY GOD, get a grip Mackenzie!’


I was aware suddenly of Lucas staring at me like he was waiting for an answer. I hoped I hadn’t been drooling!
“I’m sorry Lucas; I didn’t hear you, like I said the sea….very loud!” I made a point of gesticulated towards my ears and flashed my smile again.
“Oh, OK. So what do you think?”
“What do I think?” I struggled to try to bring forth some idea as to what he had just asked me. I should have just asked him to repeat it, but I didn’t want to even admit to myself that I had been stood here fantasizing about this boy!
“ERM….”

Lucas looked a bit puzzled but didn’t offer any more info.
“Yes?” I ventured warily.
“Great,” he said. A huge big grin breaking out across his face. “I’ll pick you up around 7 this evening. That ok?”

“Oh, yeh that’s fine…fine”

‘shit, shit, shit!’

“My friend will be with me.” I managed to strangle out, trying to think of some way of getting out of this date with out hurting his feelings. He really was cute.

“…you can come meet some of my friends and I’ll show you round if you like?”

At the offer of seeing a bit of the area and being shown by a local, the whole idea did sound great after all, plus he was ever so easy on the eye! Ruby was going to be happy!!

We chatted for a few more minutes and then I said that I needed to go else I would get too cold to run back.
I was aware that I was getting cold and that Lucas’ eyes seemed to be drawn to my chest at any given moment. Some things even 2 jumpers couldn’t hide!
We shouted our goodbyes as I ran down the steps.


I was wet and cold by the time I got back to our room and I must have looked scary as hell, but Ruby took it in her stride as I babbled about Lucas and our impending night out. ”Cool.” was all she said.

We had decided to go for a ride out today and Port Angeles was where we were headed. We had decided before we left the UK that we would do things that we both wanted to do and getting a bit of retail therapy was definitely in order. I needed some warmer clothes and possibly a top that didn’t make my assets so in your face, I didn’t want to offend any one or have their eye out.

‘Like I said…COLD!!’

I immediately liked Port Angeles again it seemed familiar to me and though there were a few mentions of Twilight areas of interest, the town let you explore and find that out for yourselves.

The stores were more like boutiques and we wasted 3 hours easily trying on clothes in all of them. We were humored by the shop assistants, all of them were polite and so helpful and they seemed to want to help you find what you were looking for. All of them picked up on our accent, we were placed anywhere from London to Liverpool from Australia to Ireland. All of the people we spoke to thought that we spoke quaint!!

‘Quaint?’

Never mind they were all so nice we forgave them for that!

Armed with our new purchases we set off back to the lodge. We dumped our bags in our room and ran over to the diner that was situated in the Lodge. We were hungry so we ordered a sandwich and we sat chatting as we munched.
I managed to persuade Ruby that an afternoon walk on the beach would be good fun and we thought that we might even be able to see some whales. This clinched the deal and dressed in my new arctic wear sweater we started off down the steps towards the beach.
The wind was actually howling against the rocks now, I turned to walk backwards so that I could check on Ruby she seemed to be doing ok though she had a titanium grip on the hand rail as we moved down the steps.
Walking backwards was a bit treacherous so I let go of the rails to turn around, I don’t know how but my foot slipped on a loose piece of stone, my ankle twisted and I could see myself falling forward, I made a grab for the rail, but Ruby had made a grab for me, I knew that that had doomed me, there was no way she could stop my momentum with out falling over the edge of the pathway herself, so as a last ditch effort to stop her I shoved away from her with all my mite, I saw her hit the path wall and stop as I fell through space away from her. Then all was black. Somewhere I heard Edwards’s musical voice telling me to lay still. I saw his face; I felt his hands running down my arms and legs. I felt warm, I felt safe, and I felt saved.

Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment